Zero Waste Workshop and Circular Economy Roundtable
November 14th, 2019:
11 am-3 pm - Lunch & Learn workshop with lunch provided
3:30-4:30 pm - Circular Economy Roundtable with a delegation from the Netherlands
4:30-6:00 pm - Networking mixer with drink and appetizers included at nearby location
1 Gateway Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90012 - Mulholland room
USGBC-LA members: $145 / General Admission: $195
* Includes lunch and refreshments *
Global waste generation is increasing faster than any other environmental pollutant, based on research by the World Bank. Waste management is also linked to a number of other global challenges: health, climate change, poverty reduction, food and resource security, sustainable production, and consumption. Therefore, action in this sector can have a much greater impact on reducing greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) than many current emission inventories suggest. USGBC-LA is deeply committed and taking action towards waste reduction and circular economy principles for green buildings.
Please join us for a unique workshop led by All About Waste founder Denise Braun. Denise will unpack the many strategies and opportunities for buildings to become TRUE zero-waste!
- What is Circular Economy?
- What is a TRUE zero-waste building?
- How to design a zero-waste building?
- Why solid waste data is important and how to properly collect this information
- Best Management Practices for zero-waste buildings operations
- Case studies about Reduce, Reuse, Recycle solutions
- How Los Angeles is preparing to become a zero-waste city? And what other cities are doing
TRUE zero-waste workshop is ideal for architects, urban planners, building owners and building staff in buildings including:
**TRUE & Circular Economy workshop qualifies for GBCI CE Credits.**
LEED AP | Fitwel Ambassador | WELL AP | ENV SP | TRUE Advisor
Denise has over seventeen years of experience in the sustainability field, starting in Brazil and then moving to the United States. She is the founder and principal of All About Waste - a woman and minority-owned sustainability and zero waste consulting firm based in Los Angeles, CA. Denise and her team provide a diverse range of services including solid waste data collection and analysis, circular strategic frameworks, green building certifications, zero waste programs and certification, training/educational workshops, and community outreach. She has worked in various capacities on over 150 LEED-certified projects, many of which have achieved the highest level of certification with no clarifications. Denise is currently working on several zero-waste and wellness projects. She worked on the first TRUE-certified zero waste high-rise commercial building in the world. Denise has been responsible for over 27 million square feet of waste audits and has developed and analyzed technical waste management solutions for a large variety of building types. Denise has presented at numerous lectures, workshops, and conferences, including the annual Municipal Green Building Conference and Expo, Net Zero Conference, the Living Building Collaborative Zero Waste Forum. She is currently studying Sustainable Supply Chain at UCLA. She is sitting as a Board of Director at USGBC-LA.
Marialyce Pedersen is a sustainable materials management & circular economy professional with deep experience in zero waste. She has served on the advisory board of the TRUE Zero Waste Certification system since inception in 2017 (and prior to that, the US Zero Waste Business Council’s Business Advisory Board), and helped design the TRUE Adviser test for GBCI (Green Business Certification Inc.).
Her strengths include waste prevention, reuse and extensive recycling and composting experience and third-party certification knowledge. She achieved success in establishing and implementing a wide range of environmental policies and standards at The Walt Disney Company from 2003-2019, and prior to that, led environmental programs for the County of Ventura, including managing a CalRecycle green building grant in 2003 which resulted in a successfully permitted experimental straw bale building at The Ojai Foundation, one of the only buildings that survived the 2017 Thomas Fire. Marialyce is also the co-author of the bestselling paperback book, Backyard Composting.
Marialyce contributed her knowledge of her Walt Disney World colleagues’ success in achieving Zero Waste Platinum Certification in 2016 at the Animal Nutrition Center at Disney’s Animal Kingdom to today’s Zero Waste Trivia Contest.
Lean Green Way
Over his career Ryan McMullan has led several Sustainability programs including in Toyota’s Corporate Responsibility department and Rice University’s Facilities & Engineering department. These have included strategically developing and deploying environmental targets across a wide variety of functional groups, reporting on environmental progress, greenhouse gas inventories, and developing programs for zero waste, zero carbon, and zero water. He now consults with companies like Lockheed-Martin and Walmart to help them establish leading sustainability strategies. He is an advisor to TRUE Zero Waste Certification at GBCI and the Environmental Leader Conference.
He earned his Masters from the Bren School of Environmental Science and Management at UC Santa Barbara and his Bachelor's from Rice University. At home he keeps busy improving the sustainability of his home in Long Beach, California, teaching his 10-year-old son to conserve resources and design games, and writing on his experiences.
Join us for the Circular Economy Roundtable afterward at 3:30 pm with a delegation from the Netherlands with the participation of the organizations below:
· Alonso - Advising companies and government on energy saving.
· Bollegraaf Recycling Solutions - Bollegraaf leads the industry by developing advanced and profitable sorting and recycling systems and solutions for single stream, e-waste, MSW processing, C&D, Plastics Recycling, and energy-from-waste solutions.
· Bouwgroep Dijkstra Draisma - Dijkstra Draisma is an innovative construction company that works on affordable products for the energy transition through industrialization and robotization.
· City of Amsterdam - Municipality of Amsterdam, local government
· Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research TNO - TNO is an independent Dutch organization for applied research. For the building & infra sectors, TNO focuses on sustainable infra, BIM models for circular buildings and rest value calculations.
· Resolution Group (Resolution BV) - Resolution is a prefabricated building system that can be newly and quickly converted to energy-neutral or zero on the meter by means of high-quality insulated steel frame construction with ventilation system incorporated into the shell, houses or apartment complexes.
· Space & Matter - Space & Matter is an office for spatial design and concept development based in Amsterdam. The office is a forerunner in the field of circular economy and creates urban prototypes for resilient and socially inclusive living environments.
· Waste Treatment Technologies (WTT) - WTT is a renowned and experienced turn-key supplier of high-tech waste treatment solutions.
**Food + drinks included at the networking/ mixer to follow at 4:30 PM at nearby location**
Sponsored by the Netherlands Delegation
Parking in Metro Headquarters is $8/day