The Green Janitor Education Program (GJEP) meets the growing sustainability and health needs of commercial businesses and campuses that benefit owners, custodial staff, and tenants, while ensuring compliance with green cleaning procedures.
The GJEP curriculum (also available in Spanish) targets building operations and maintenance practices with a focus on:
- Green performance standards
- Energy efficiency
- Waste management
- Water conservation
- Green cleaning practices
Participants who successfully complete GJEP receive accreditation in green building cleaning practices to help meet the latest sustainable and healthy building standards.
- 76% of GJEP buildings typically see a decrease in energy and water usage
- Buildings with accredited GJEP staff use an average of 5.6% less energy than non-GJEP buildings
- Verified energy and water savings and a LEED point at typically no additional cost to building owners
- Green cleaning products can result in improved indoor air quality, which in turn minimize employee absences through sickness and improve worker productivity
- Results indicated positive changes in conservation behaviors both in the workplace and at home for janitors participating in the program
GJEP Impact Report
Learn more about GJEP by diving into our Impact Report by SEED Consulting Group
Curriculum + Modules of the GJEP Program
Also available in Spanish*
- Intro to Building Sustainability
- Green Cleaning
- Energy Conservation
- Recycling + Waste Diversion
- Janitor Health + Safety
- Water Conservation
- Review + Testing
Check out the Curriculum outline here
“[Janitors] are a part of who we are as a company and engaging them on sustainability is part of what we do…we have to improve our buildings in order to meet our climate goals and engaging our janitors is a critical piece of the puzzle.”
— Sara Neff, VP of Sustainability, Kilroy Realty
“The Program fits perfectly, representing the three legs of sustainability: environment, equity, and economy. The janitors are really the front line of creating a sustainable LA…they are walking our talk.”
— Matt Petersen, Chief Sustainability Officer, City of Los Angeles
The GJEP curriculum is designed in collaboration with US Green Building Council, Los Angeles (USGBC-LA), Building Skills Partnership (BSP), the Building Owners and Managers Association Greater Los Angeles (BOMA-GLA), industry experts, building owners, and the janitor’s union (SEIU-United Service Workers West). The program is currently available in California, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, Colorado, and Texas.
We partner with janitorial employers, property management companies, and responsible business owners in commercial properties, tech, and entertainment industries.
"Is My Office Building Safe?"
“Is My Office Building Safe: Are Janitors Saving Your Life?” David Nazar highlights GJEP in this video